In the fields near Tuomarinkylä, 40 minutes, -10ºC/+14ºF

6.2.2014, In the morning

In the beginning, it feels good to sit. I notice some noises from the manor house behind me. There is some kind of renovation going on. I notice the hum from a highway far away. After these notions the rest of the session feels quiet and peaceful. There is almost no one walking along the river. The air feels cold but I’m thinking that I’m not going to be freezing this time. It seems that I have enough clothes. The zabuton and zafu feel comfortable.

At some point I feel some kind of connectedness and concentration at the same time. I watch the play of light on my eyes. A second I see a small dark dot in front of me. The sensation of concentration is deepening but somehow the phase diminishes after a while.

I’m thinking that sitting outside makes the sensations of connectedness stronger. At the same time it seems to flush the small everyday worries away. There's a big difference in sitting here and sitting at home. The coldness of air, the sounds and the possibility of others going by make a difference. Also the possibility to hear or see animals seems to make a difference. When sitting outside there is a stronger sensation of togetherness and connectedness, but also the inner peace seems to be easier to find.

In the end of the session I observe how does the coldness of air feel on my skin. The idea of a cold sheet pops into my mind: like I'm wrapped in a cold, starched sheet. It's made out of strong white cotton. I feel the coldness simultaneously in my back and arms. It doesn’t feel uncomfortable, more like refreshing, like menthol. I feel good, strong, confident and calm.

0 comments:

Post a Comment